GREAT LAKES - UPPER MISSISSIPPI
Illinois - Indiana - Iowa - Michigan - Minnesota -
Missouri - New York - Ohio - Pennsylvania - Wisconsin - Ontario
STATE and PROVINCIAL PUBLIC HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGERS
Wastewater Water Supply Individual Sewage Systems
DRAFT-2011 Annual Meeting
April 25, 2011
77 West Jackson Boulevard
Attendees Phone Attendees
Randy Ellingboe Bob
Pat Carroll Brian
Jill Jonas Randy
Mike Baker Kevin
Jerry Kuhn Maher
Dave McMillan Terry
Liane Shekter Smith Phil
Carrie Monosmith Roger
Sokol Mike Montysko
1:00 pm Monday, April 25, 2011
1. The meeting was called to
order by Chair Jerry Kuhn at 1:05 p.m.
3. 2011 Officers were confirmed
a. Chair Illinois Jerry Kuhn
b. Vice Chair Indiana Pat Carroll
c. Secretary Iowa Chuck Corell
4. Agenda Review and Revision
5. Approval of 2010 Minutes
- Approve Minutes with minor changes as discussed. Motion by P.
Carroll, Second by J. Jonas.
6. Review of Membership List
- Minnesota will update member
list. Send any changes to Bob
7. Committee Reports
a. Water Supply (Brian Noma)
- The Water Supply Committee met in St. Louis, MO
in October of 2010.
- They divided up the chapters for review and will be going over
them the next 2 years to recommend changes.
- Most states sent a representative but the Committee feels they
really need a representative from Ohio
as it has been a number of years since there has been one.
- Mike Baker, Ohio, is not able
to hire for the position that had traditionally represented Ohio on the
committee. Mike will continue to
ask current staff to see if he can get someone to participate. He will let Brian know within a month
if he has found anyone. Ohio will have to
defer holding the meeting this fall.
- Minnesota will hold the annual
meeting this fall. It will be a 2
½ day meeting in mid-October.
Brian will start making arrangements.
- Roy Ney has retired and Jennifer Bunton will be replacing him as
a member of the committee.
- Mike Montysko, New
York, mentioned he is working on the UV
information update and knows he has to get it out to the group soon for
review. UV will still be a Policy
- Jill Jonas thanked Brian for the work he has done.
- Jerry Kuhn mentioned that Brian has done a great job during his
first year as Committee Chair.
b. Wastewater (Terry
- The Wastewater Committee is meeting via conference call each
month with a goal to have recommended changes to the standards drafted
by September, 2011 and ready to publish in 2012.
- Conference calls have worked relatively well to discuss
revisions. It is believed that a
face-to-face meeting will be needed to finalize the drafts before the
2012 Board meeting.
- The Committee is working to get a Land Application section
drafted. Current standards to not
have a section for Land Application and feel it is needed. Minnesota
representatives are working on drafting language. They are reviewing the Illinois language
to see the differences between more northern and southern states in the
region. They agree that it will
need to be very generic.
- There are new assignments for committee members to investigate
standards for low-flow design, alternative technologies for small
systems, recirculation, and nutrient removal.
- Alternative technologies and designs for systems with
populations between 100 200 dont work well for systems with less than
- Three people retired and will be receiving certificates of
appreciation; Dave Porter, MI; D.S. Patel,
IN; and Parimal Parikh, PA.
c. Individual Sewage Systems
- Bob Smude spoke with Chad Moorman. The ISS Committee had not met and had
nothing to report. Chad
does not think the committee will actively change the standards but may
meet via conference call in the future to discuss new technology, etc.
d. Swimming Pools and Bathing Beaches
- Bob Smude communicated with a few members on the current
list. They feel that states are
going toward national standards but that the 10 State
information is still valuable.
They would like to continue to discuss industry information but
would not be able to meet in person.
Bob Smude may work with the Minnesota representative to organize
a conference call among members that are still current.
accept the Committee reports made by R. Ellingboe, seconded by M. Baker.
8. Other Business
- As discussed at the last meeting the money from the Boards
treasury was donated to Water for People.
9. Officers for 2012
a. Chair Indiana Pat Carroll
b. Vice Chair Iowa Chuck Corell
c. Secretary- Michigan
Liane Shekter Smith
Motion to approve officers
made by M. Baker, seconded by J. Jonas.
10. Certificates of Appreciation
- The list for 2010 looked accurate and there are no known
certificates needed at this time.
Bob Smude will send the printed certificates to Chair Kuhn for
11. Other Issues
12. Date and Location for 2012
Meeting will probably be April 22 but will know more after talking to R5 EPA.
adjourn made by P. Carroll, seconded by L. Shekter Smith.